Saving Grace World Missions

Friday, August 31, 2007

$900,000 Donation

One of the difficulties of being a white person here is that you are automatically a target for easy money. Some times this comes in the form of outright begging and other times it is much more creative as seen by a recent experience. A met a man who asked me to pray for his upcoming trip out of the country. After praying for him, he explained that his family had $900,000 from his father who had past away the previous year. He said that he wanted me to have it for my ministry here. (I know, it sounds like an email that you got recently.) He said that he needed to go back to his home in Sierra Leone to get the money. There were many other aspects to his scam, but for the sake of time, he basically called and said that he was stuck at the border and they would not let him through with the money unless he paid them. He asked meto send $2000 for the police payoff. After repeatedly telling him I would not give him any money for any reason, he became desperate and even faked crying! He begged me to help him out. I ended by telling him that he did not sound like a man with $900,000. I said he sounded like someone who was trying to scam me. I told him that he needed to repent for his sins and that I would talk to him face to face but I never wanted him to call me again. I have not heard from him since and no, I never did get the money from him! Moral of the story: Don’t respond to those dumb emails. No one wants to give a complete stranger thousands of dollars!

No comments: